Page optimization is the process of making sure that your website functions in
the most effective way possible in relation to search engines. The following
are steps you can take to optimize your page:
• Use your keywords in your page title. Place the most important keyword
phrase close to the beginning of the page title. Do not put your site title on
every page of your site unless you are really trying to brand that name. In that
scenario, it still is usually best to place the site name at the end of the page
• Shorter site titles are usually better than really long ones.
• Sometimes I overlap related keyword phrases in the page title. Overlapping
keyword phrases in the page title can help you pick up multiple search phrases.
For example, professional search engine marketing services helps me obtain good
rankings for (1) search engine marketing, (2) professional search engine marketing, (3)
search engine marketing services, and (4) professional search engine marketing services.
• Meta tags are not extremely important, but they can help some. The meta
description should be a sentence to a paragraph describing the page contents.
The meta description tag can be seen in some search results, so you want to
write it for human eyes and for it be compelling.
• The meta keywords tag is probably not worth the time to make, but if you do
make one, it should contain your primary keyword and its common
misspellings and synonyms. Each keyword phrase in the keywords tag should
be comma separated.
• Use a single, descriptive H1 header on your page containing the keyword
phrases similar to those you targeted in the page title. This helps reinforce the
• Use descriptive sub headers (H2 or H3) before every paragraph or every few
paragraphs. This improves usability and helps define what the page is about to
search engines without making the page look like it was written for a search
• Use bulleted lists and bolding to break up content and make it easier to read.
• Write your content for human consumption. If you write exclusively for
search engines, the pages will read poorly and nobody will want to look at
Home Page Optimization
In addition to page optimization for search engines, it is also important to
optimize your site’s home page for customers in order to make sure it
• Make sure your home page builds credibility and directs consumers to the
most important parts of your site.
• Target your most competitive keyword phrase with the home page or with a
page that is directly linked to from the home page.
• Link to the major theme pages from your home page.
• Link to your home page from every page of your site. Include your site name
and/or the home page’s primary keyword phrase in the text links pointing to
• If you think your site is being filtered out of the search results for being too
focused on a word or phrase, you may want to make the link to your home
page just say something like “home”.
Your home page is just the starting point for what will probably be a very
multi-layered and multifaceted website. As such, it is important to look at
every page your site contains to ensure a cohesive, streamlined design that
works well with search engines as well as customers. Keep the following in
• Use text-based navigation.
• If you use graphic navigation, use descriptive alt text for your image links, and
link to your primary pages from every page of your site using footer text links.
• Use descriptive/keyword-rich breadcrumb navigation to help search engines
understand the structure of your site.
e.g., home page link(use keywords in it) > level 1 > level 2 >
page I am on
• Use a site map to help search engines spider through your site.
• Whenever possible, use descriptive text when linking between pages of your
• Link to other resources that improve your user’s experience. If you reference
research and trusted sources within your content, readers will think of your
content as information, rather than simply being sales-oriented.
• Deep link to related articles and content from within the active content section
of your page copy.
• Use CSS to improve the look and feel of your pages. Put it in an external file.h2
Next» Robots.txt File Setting